Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Would You Wear Your Hair in a Bow?

I don't follow Vogue Australia, but this morning I came across their July 2010 cover with Rose Byrne, and it caught my eye. Not only does Rose have her hair tied into a bow on the cover, but she wears this hairstyle throughout the editorial.
Now I adore Vogue's styling of Rose (why doesn't she get more attention from the glossies? And why don't I read Vogue Australia?) but I really hate this hairstyle. It reminds me of shih tzu show-dogs, and if you don't believe me check out this pooch with a very similar hairstyle style. It's a look I'd describe as Crufts Chic, but in my opinion, it should be kept far away from Lanvin and Prada.
It's not just Vogue playing around with this style though. Being as over-the-top as it is Lady Gaga obviously loves the look, and has been tying her hair into a bow for over a year. Here she is wearing wearing the hair bow in January 2009. Always an early adopter.

27552, LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - Friday January 16 2009. Radio Ga Ga: Lady Gaga returns to her London hotel after appearing on BBC Radio 1. The flamboyant American singer sported her trademark large sunglasses and a quirky hair piece in the shape of a bow. The singer is currently number one in the US billboard chart and the official UK chart with Just Dance. Photograph: PacificCoastNews.com ***** UK OFFICE: 131 557 7760/7761 US OFFICE: 1 310 261 9676

I don't like this look on anyone, but Gaga definitely does a better job of it than Rose -  because you expect craziness from Lady G. Paris Hilton is also a fan of the bow hairstyle, and the result isn't as bad as you would expect.
I admire those willing to give this look a go, but for me it is still a style no-no. What do you think of the hair bow? Would you give it a go?

Rose image by Max Doyle from thefashionspot.com. Lady Gaga image Picapp/PacificCoastNews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive