Thursday, June 3, 2010

On WAG Watch

I literally have no interest in football whatsoever. In fact I don't really hold enthusiasm for any kind of sport, I kind of like tennis but only when Andy Roddick is playing. But I'm smart enough to know the world cup is about to start, which means everyone will start talking about WAG's again. I'm not sure if this phrase has made it out of the UK -it simply stands for "Wives and Girlfriends" of footballers. Victoria Beckham is WAG, but she was a Spice Girl first so she's an independent WAG. The Queen WAG.
David Beckham isn't playing in the world cup (for someone who doesn't like football I know my stuff, right?) which leaves a vacancy for the leading WAG. My money is on Alex Curran, who is married to Steven Gerrard.

alex1

This was Alex yesterday afternoon. As you can see she's no Victoria but she's got potential. If her hair wasn't so Barbie-ish and she lost the rather tacky bangles that would be a good look. And I like the dress, it's a great colour.
Unfortunately the rather derogatory role of the WAG is to be quiet, go shopping and wear as many trends as you can at once. Alex can do trends, no problem, she owns a ton of Balmain has been seen out in clogs and owns those Christian Louboutin leopard print boots. But I think she's one to watch in terms of proper fashion. She had seven pages dedicated to her in the January issue of UK Vogue (sure, that's just great PR, but more it's than any other WAG) and with proper styling she looks really good.

a;ex2

I doubt she'll be spotted in a simple shift dress at the world cup, but it would be great if she did jump out of her comfort zone. Either way she's the only WAG I'm remotely interested in seeing pictures of. I hope she rules the world cup.

What do you think of Alex's style? Is she your favourite WAG?

vogue image by Jason Bell, scan from thefashionspot.com and celebrity-paradise.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive