Friday, June 25, 2010

My Top Six Summer Reads

I don't normally do posts in this kind of style, but I really believe the best way to find a great book is through a friendly recommendation. Last year I shared some of my favourite reads with you (and it's still one of the most searched posts on the blog) so I thought I'd do the same again this summer. If you're off on holiday and need some poolside reading, or if you're stuck in London and need something to make those sticky tube journeys go quicker, check these six books out.


House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival by Deborah Ball: As you have all probably worked out, I'm a big Versace fan. But at the time of Gianni's murder I was a child obsessing over the Spice Girls, so I don't remember anything from that time. This book takes you through from the very beginning of Versace history, and although it took me a while to get into it I was obsessed by the end.
Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism by Natasha Walter: While the Spice Girls taught me little about fashion they did drill into me the message of 'girl power', so I picked up Natasha Walter's Living Dolls as soon as it came out. It's a really interesting read if like me you are amazed at the amount of women who seem to want nothing more than a Nuts cover.
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden: Shockingly I only just read Memoirs of a Geisha (I actually finished it last night) despite the fact it's constantly recommended. At about five chapters in I had completely fallen in love with the book, and now that I'm finished I may watch the film. Or will that just ruin it for me?


Love and Other Impossible Pursuits by Ayelet Waldman: I picked this book up because Natalie Portman has just shot the movie, and I'm a huge Natalie fan. Set in New York it uses Central Park as a way of holding the story together, which I loved. As soon as I finished the book I was checking IMDB as I cannot wait to see the film. I think Natalie will be great in this role.
Naked by David Sedaris: There isn't much I can say about David Sedaris, apart from read his books! He's one of the funniest writers ever, and although Naked isn't my favourite (Me Talk Pretty One Day is funnier, in my opinion) it was completely addictive.
If You Have to Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You by Kelly Cutrone: Ever since Kelly Cutrone gave Lauren Conrad the evil eye for not remembering Hamish Bowles' name in The Hills I have loved her. While this isn't exactly an autobiography there are loads of stories about how she came to the massive success she has today, which are very inspirational. A word of warning though: don't read this after Living Dolls like I did, as your brain will go crazy from all the 'independent women' messages.

Which books do you recommend for the summer?

images from amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive