Monday, May 31, 2010

The Rebecca Taylor Theory

I spend rather a lot of time browsing Net-A-Porter (probably an unhealthy amount, really) every week, and recently I've noticed I keep checking out Rebecca Taylor's S/S collection. Over and over again. My favourite piece is the poppy-print skirt.

rt1

Rebecca Taylorpieces all from Net-A-Porter
Up until now I've shown very little interest in the New York based, New Zealand born designer. I don't really do floral prints. Rebecca Taylor does. And it's kept us apart all these years.
But, for one thing it's summer, and it's nice to have a few flowers. And there are so many other fantastic mid-range labels out there (personal favourites include L'Agence, Isabel Marant and Maje) that have helped me make sense of Rebecca Taylor. If Marant is for the off-duty-model then Rebbeca Taylor is for Rachel Bilson. Simple.
I know models make up more of the population than Rachel Bilson does, so you can add in Rachel Bilson types into the lineup too. A Rachel Bilson type is someone who has a bit of a girly edge to their wardrobe (although not in a sickening Paris Hilton way) and does 'dressed down' but always in a pretty dress or a cute knit.
I can imagine Rachel wearing the poppy-print skirt exactly as it was styled on the S/S runway. Just add a pair of oversized shades and her BFF, Thurman Murman, and you've got a classic Bilson look.


Vanessa Hudgens is a bit of a Rachel Bilson type, as is Taylor Swift, and magically they've both worn Rebecca Taylor recently. Jessica Alba almost falls into this category too.
I'm still desperate for a simple L'Agence jersey maxi, but I think there's room in my wardrobe for a pretty Rebecca Taylor skirt too...

Are you a Rebecca Taylor fan? Or are her designs too 'pretty' for your taste?

images from style.com and net-a-porter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive