Monday, May 10, 2010

Obsessing Over Gia

Yesterday I finally watched the movie Gia. It was only £3 in HMV and I'd always wanted to see it because everyone says Angelina Jolie is amazing in it. Before watching it I knew very little about Gia Carangi, just that she was incredibly beautiful, appeared in that infamous Helmut Newton shot (see second image down) and died very young.

lastscanh8po
2541848615319a8a7ccoyy8
dfsfdggdf8xb

Since watching the film I've now become completely obsessed with Gia. Not only is her story so deeply sad (she battled with a heroin addiction for years and eventually died of AIDS aged 26 - no one from the fashion industry attended her funeral) but she was an amazing model. I actually feel a bit ashamed that I've seen so little of her work. My excuse is that she died before I was even born, but I'm quickly catching up via her Fashion Spot thread.

Are there any other Gia fans out there? And does anyone know if there are any good books about her/her career? I'd be interested to find out more about life. And if you haven't seen Gia you should check it out. Though despite Angelina Jolie's beauty no one does Gia quite as well as Gia herself.

images from thefashionspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive