Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Oscars 2010

The red carpet at the Oscars last was definitely an interesting one. There were lots of dresses that I really didn't like, and a lot that blended into the background. But there were some red carpet moments that were so beautiful (Zoe Saldana, Cameron Diaz and Amanda Seyfried) that I didn't mind the average looks. Because it just made the Zoe's, Cameron's, and Amanda's of the world stand out even more.

oscar1
Zoe Saldana in Givenchy Couture
In January I wrote that this dress was
perfect for the Oscars. Diane Kruger was my first choice but I also suggested Zoe, and as fate would have it... This is easily my favourite look of the night. She looks stunning.

oscar2
Amanda Seyfried in Armani Privé
I think Amanda looks fantastic in this dress, her best red carpet moment to date. But she wasn't actually up for an award, and this is perhaps a little bit to OTT, therefore. Either way she wore it perfectly, and it's sure to be in every best dressed list.


oscar3
Diane Kruger in Chanel HC & Cameron Diaz in Oscar de la Renta
I don't think Diane was at her absolute red carpet best last night (when she really brings it you don't even notice anyone else) but again, it's a faultless look. And Cameron Diaz is up there with Zoe when it comes to my favourite dresses of the night. The Oscar de la Renta dress looked like it was made for her, and it was a lovely surprise too - I don't normally put Cameron down as a full-skirt kinda girl.


oscar4
Carey Mulligan in Prada & Kristen Stewart in Monique Lhuillier
I'm very disappointed that Carey went for a black dress, I wanted to see her in colour. But she did look very sweet, so I'll let her off. Kristen made up for the dodgy trousers of last week in this dramatic number. That fact that it's a little gothic anyway makes her moody face less obvious.


oscar5
Meryl Streep in Chris March & Maggie Gyllenhaal in Dries Van Noten
Everyone loves Meryl, and it was nice to see a sleeve on the red carpet last night. Nice zebra-print bangle too. And I have a feeling some people will hate Maggie's printed dress, it isn't exactly your regular Oscar dress. But I love the fact she's always willing to experiment.


oscar6
Demi Moore in Versace Atelier & Sarah Jessica Parker in Chanel HC
I wasn't so keen on Demi in Versace at first, but it is starting to grow on me. And I also disliked SJP in Chanel, but I now totally adore it. It works better with her personality than the Versace does with Demi's.

And you've probably noticed that Sandra Bullock is not in the post. I'm so so so happy she won (not that I've seen the film) the award, but I wasn't into her dress at all. She looked much better at the Golden Globes and SAG Awards I think. I was also confused by Jennifer Lopez, Penelope Cruz and Tina Fey. And I'm going up and down on Charlize Theron's Dior dress - I admire her for wearing it but I just don't think I like it.
Scarily I also thought Miley Cyrus looked good, but I could not bring myself to include her in the annual Oscar post...

Which dresses were you loving last night?

images from zimbo, celbutopia, tflfan, gossipcenter and celebrity-paradise (all via thefashionspot.com) and justjared.buzznet.com

And isn't it lovely that a woman won Best Director for the first time ever?
UPDATE: I've just seen Sandra on TV and the dress is a lot better in motion than images actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive