Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Hat Dilemma

The other week I was shopping in M&S. If you live outside the UK and are not familiar with Marks and Spencer's it is basically a shop that sells everything and tends to be followed by the words 'good', 'old' and 'reliable'. It's not exactly fashion-forward but they do great underwear and sometimes you can find some really nice clothes hidden amongst the 'reliable' styles.
While I was browsing last week I found some great cloche hats for £15. I love hats and the cloche is one of my favourites.


The only problem is cloche hats tend to be worn with 20s and 30s style ladylike clothing - just google 'cloche hat' and you'll see what I mean. I don't want to look like a wannabe Angelina from Changeling and nor do I want people to think I'm on my way to a costume party. I would love it if I wore flapper dresses everyday, but sadly real life gets in the way.

Looking back at Proenza Schouler's A/W 07 collection I have confidence that cloche hats can look equally fabulous with modern clothes. But what if I wanted to scruff it up a bit with jeans?


Playing around online I put together a 'cloche friendly' look, but I guess I'll never know if they work with jeans unless I try.



What do you guys think? Also how hot is the Topshop bag - I'll be checking that out in store.

images from style.com and store websites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive