Monday, July 19, 2010

Miuccia Makes The Cable Knit Cool

Flicking through Karlie Kloss' recent Vogue UK editorial the other day I noticed how fond I'd become of the Prada A/W cable knit jumper. In the same spread Karlie wears McQueen, Dolce & Gabbana and a busty Vuitton frock, but none caught my attention in quite the same way. There is something about the cable knit jumper/cardigan that's oddly appealing at the moment.
I say it's oddly appealing because chunky sweaters aren't really my thing. I don't like bulky shapes and I generally associate thick knits with frumpiness. There's a fantastic look from a 1980's Ralph Lauren collection in the V&A which is made up of a pale pink cable knit jumper and full plaid skirt. I've scrunched my nose up at it many times, as it's a very dated 'frumpy' outfit, but it isn't far from what Miuccia Prada created for her Fall collection - showing that, at some point, everything makes a comeback.


The styling on the Prada runway definitely gave the cable knit a little sex-appeal. Whether it was worn as a cardigan over a risque PVC dress or nipped in at the waist and paired with the Mad Men-esque beehive. And that's another thing: how adorable are the matching cable knit headbands? I want one desperately.

What do you think of the humble cable knit? And how will you wear it this A/W?

images from style.com Karlie image by Daniel Jackson for Vogue UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive