Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hit and Miss of the Week: From Hollywood to London

This week two Hollywood A-listers made their way over to London. First there was Jennifer Aniston, who had a date at Harrods to promote her new fragrance. Despite the predictable nature of her look it wasn’t yet another black dress, and I thought Jen looked fabulous. She should ditch black forever.
Fellow LA resident, Cameron Diaz, was also in town, promoting Knight and Day with Tom Cruise. While I like the fact she chose a British designer for the premiere I was disappointed that her dress was so casual. I felt she could have brought more Hollywood glamour with her. And back in LA Vanessa Hudgens wasn’t having much luck on the red carpet either, as she has fallen into a bit of a style-rut. She needs an Alba-style makeover, I think.

Jennifer Aniston: Hit

LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 21: Jennifer Aniston attends photocall at the launch of her debut fragrance 'Lolavie' at Harrods on July 21, 2010 in London, England. (Photo by Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images)

Jennifer Aniston was in London this week promoting her new fragrance at Harrods. I like the choice of nude Valentino dress. I would have liked to see some colour (both Jen and Angelina religiously stick to black and nude – Brad clearly has a type) but I prefer Jen in nude than black, so I’m not really complaining. The choice of tan heels is also great, as they lengthen her already amazing legs. It would have been nice to see something more inspiring going on with her hair – but this is Jennifer Aniston, and predictable style is her game.

Cameron Diaz: Miss

Photo by: JJCH1/starmaxinc.com 2010  7/22/10 Cameron Diaz at the premiere of Knight and Day . (London, England)  Photo via Newscom

I normally love everything Cameron Diaz wears on the red carpet but was deeply disappointed to see her in this Stella McCartney sweater dress at the UK Knight and Day premiere. This is not an exciting look – I could put my hair in a ponytail and throw on a jumper dress and a pair of black heels any day. London needed a bit of Hollywood magic and Cameron failed to bring it. I would have liked this look for a TV appearance (because it is a great dress) but at premiere I expect a little more drama.


Christina Hendricks: Hit

HOLLYWOOD - JULY 20: Actress Christina Hendricks arrives to the season 4 premiere of AMC's 'Mad Men' on July 20, 2010 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images)

I’m still working my way though season one of Mad Men which is quite shameful as I normally get though a box-set at warp speed. Christina Hendricks is great style inspiration on screen, and her look at the Mad Men season four premiere showed she’s equally as fashionable off screen. The long-sleeved lace dress is perhaps a little too A/W for a July premiere, but she pulled it off. I even quite like the high neckline, which is unlike me.

Vanessa Hudgens: So-So

20 July 2010 - Westwood, California - Vanessa Hudgens. Charlie St. Cloud Los Angeles Premiere held at the Regency Village Theatre. Photo Credit: Byron Purvis/AdMedia

I was a little bit disappointed to see Vanessa’s outfit for her boyfriend Zac Efron’s movie premiere this week. I know there is nothing wrong with this look – the mini is a good shape for her and she’s accessorised well – but it’s just boring. It sounds like I’m being cruel but it’s only because Vanessa Hudgens could be so much more fashionable if she pushed the boat out a little. At the moment I feel like she’s in the place Jessica Alba was last year; wearing perfectly nice clothes, but nothing anyone will ever remember. What she needs is an Antonio Berardi moment…

Jada Pinkett Smith: Miss

MADRID, SPAIN - JULY 21: Jada Pinkett Smith attends 'The Karate Kid' premiere at Callao cinema on July 21, 2010 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Carlos Alvarez/Getty Images)

I love Jada Pinkett Smith, and the whole Smith family if I’m honest. What I’m not loving, however, is this pink t-shirt dress. Granted this premiere wasn’t for her own movie, but her son’s, so I can understand why she kept it low-key. The problem I have with this dress, though, is that it’s too short (despite Jada’s amazing legs), is ill-fitting and the colour is too teen-y. I won’t hold it against Jada though, as she looks completely fantastic on every other occasion. This is just a blip.

Kylie Minogue: Miss

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 21: Kylie Minogue poses as she arrives at the Channel 9 Studios on July 21, 2010 in Melbourne, Australia. Minogue will be singing on the TV show Hey Hey It's Saturday tonight in her first performance on Australian TV in 10 years. (Photo by Scott Barbour/Getty Images)

Long-time readers of the blog will know that my fashion pet hates are white heels, blue eye-shadow and dresses with one sleeve. I love Kylie but this look was never going to work for me because of the miss-matching sleeves. Beyond that it is also a little dull – how many body-con LBD’s have we seen these last few years? Her boots definitely earn her some points, but sadly not enough to give this look a hit. Sorry Kylie!

What are your thoughts on this weeks lineup of celebrities?

Getty/AdMedia/ Newscom via Picapp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive