Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Expectations Are Great

I've been a big fan of W magazine for years now, and if you'd told me about their current re-design last year I would have gone into panic; W was my favourite. But while I still enjoy reading W I have become less excited about picking it up it as the months go on this year. So the change is welcome.
Yesterday the new editor-in-chief (W didn't have an editor before) Stefano Tonchi gave an interview to WWD about the re-designed September issue. The cover is a triple gatefold shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin and styled by Alex White, and it features eight new(ish) faces including Emma Roberts, Zoë Kravitz and Yaya DaCosta.


I like all three cover images with my favourite featuring Yaya DaCosta, Jennifer Lawrence and Greta Gerwig. The biggest change on the cover is the new "W" font  (apparently it's called Benton - after my favourite ER Dr I hope...) and the introduction of the tagline "who, what, where, when and why in the world of style." I like the new font but I'm less keen on the tagline - it might take time for me to get used to it.
Obviously the content of a magazine is equally, if not more, important than the cover, so I'll have to wait until the issue hits the UK until I can fully decide what I like and don't about the re-design. But I don't think I'll be disappointed.

What are your inital thoughts on the W re-design? Do you like the new font and tagline? And do you think they chose the right cover stars?

The article that accompanies the cover can be read now at wmagazine.com

images from wmagazine.com and wwd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers